The Electric Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 102 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:58 pm
Latest topics
» Welcome! Introduce Yourself!
by Connie Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

» Favorite Soda
by kimerajamm Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 am

» hello
by kimerajamm Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 am

» My New Website!
by Officer David Harley Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 pm

» Changes Around Here
by Bren Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Movie Theaters

+3
Kmap
Jellyfish11
KODY 105
7 posters

Go down

Movie Theaters Empty Movie Theaters

Post  KODY 105 Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 am

Do you condone going to the movies? Many Christians think that the idea of going to the movies in general is sinful, because of all the wickedness in most movies. I don't mean buying DVDs. Everyone does that. I mean paying big bucks to go see a movie in a dark room with buttery popcorn spilled all over the seats! I personally see nothing wrong with going to a good movie. An example of a good movie is Fireproof. I watched the Plugged In review at Focus on the Family, and I was impressed! That sounds like a movie I would go see at the theater if I had the money.

This is a debate, so feel free to get detailed and specific, but also be as kind as possible. No name calling or insulting is allowed. Prepare to explain exactly what you mean, and back up your statements with quotes from reputable sources or Scripture.
KODY 105
KODY 105

Male Number of posts : 1062
Warnings : Movie Theaters 110
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Movie Theaters Empty Re: Movie Theaters

Post  Jellyfish11 Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 am

Hmm, I'm not that great at debating. I rarely go to see a movie, but when I do it's with my Dad or my brother and it's one we've looked up at either plugged-in or another good source... we went to see both Narnia movies, and the Spiderman 3 because we were pleased with the first two... actually we don't really even watch movies that much.
Jellyfish11
Jellyfish11

Male Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Movie Theaters Empty well

Post  Kmap Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:38 pm

I don't want to be rude or mean, so I wont be. lol. I absolutely love movies! I love seeing stories, I love hearing ideas, I love analyzing the plot line and world view. I am just a multimedia fan. Many of the discussions I have with my friends are about movies, their quality, their technics, and there story lines. In fact I have dedicated my life to creating quality media for entertainment purposes. That being said, I would like to respond to this thread's intended discussion. I do not think that going to see a movie can be inherently evil. There are movies that I have seen previews for that I have thought, "well that is not my kind of movie, I don't think I will go see that." Whether it just looked stupid, unnecessarily offencive, or if it looked uninteresting or low quality. This is how I have a voice in the Free market world of movies. If there is a good looking movie coming out, I will go see it, and if it is truly well done, I will tell my friends. Then movie makers will know to make more movies like that.
Ok. So now you know how I feel in that respect. Let me dive deeper if I may. lol. I personally do not believe it is a good idea for Christians to only be entertained by movies or other forms of media, that they agree with. I think it is dangerous to be unaware of the realties of the world or the world views that are being held by others. If this was the case, I don't think we would be able to even sit through a sermon on sunday. Or at least I hope you don't blindly agree with everything your hearing from the pulpit. Obviously we shouldn't entertain ourselves with sexually immoral images or excessive gore and violence. But if a movie presents an idea that differs from your own, GREAT, now you can think about why you believe what you believe instead of thinking everyone in the world is the same. I heard a guy who works in Hollywood as a producer say one time, "It is better to ask deep questions than to give simple answers." And I think something non-christian can do a better job in building up your faith than something that just reiterates everything you already agree with. The goal in life isn't to prove a lie point, but to find the truth.

-Kevin
Kmap
Kmap

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.tadpoleradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SivartM Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am

My parents don't like theaters, so I just watch it on TV or DVD if it looks good. Movie Theaters 604259

But I think that if it's a good movie (which is rare these days, I suppose), it's probably not so bad. I guess I've been to IMAX, so that must be totally different. scratch
SivartM
SivartM

Male Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-09-24

http://siv-blog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Danielle Abigail Maxwell Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 pm

With me being Adventist, and I know their views on theaters and movies in generall... blah.
But that doesn't stop my parents, or me, from going to the theaters. Personally, I don't go OFTEN, but if there is this movie I can't wait to see before it comes out on DVD (and it's got to be like BIG in general) (are they playing SCRABBLE? Sorry, Sister's roommates are like... being weird right now), then I'll go to the movies. My dad doesn't mind, he even suggests things (movies I generally don't want to see). I once was dragged to The Bourne Ultimatum and LOVED it. I saw.... a James Bond Movie, and thought it was very good. I saw HP 5 and Live Free or Die Hard in theaters, and enjoyed them both. I don't think it is a sin.
It's the same movie that will come out on DVD. Why would going to a theater and seeing the same movie you'll see on DVD be a sin, but when you own it, it's not a sin? Something is OBVIOUSLY wrong with that.
And when good movies are out in theaters, and have a HIGH chance of not coming out on DVD for a while, and you just can't keep away (AKA The Dark Knight), then, well, going to the theaters isn't bad. You support the movie the same way when you see in theaters, even when you buy it you support it. So, well, either it's a sin both ways, or it's not a sin both ways. There can't be ONE sin for this, and NO sin for that, espcially if it's about the moive in general. Someting is obviously off about that...
I saw 27 Dresses in theaters with my dad, and I probably could have waited for DVD, because everyone I knew bought it, and then I've watched it with half a million people it seems... but, well, it all depends. People can't call one thing a sin, and the other not a sin.. someone's off their rocker.
And I don't think I could have stopped myself from NOT seeing TDK in theaters.. not when it beat almost every box office record! Hehe!
Later...
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Danielle Abigail Maxwell

Female Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-10

http://prayforbj.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SivartM Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 am

That was another good point; if it's a sin to see it in the theater, it would probably be the same seeing it at home.

Of course, that doesn't mean that all movies are good to see. Wink
SivartM
SivartM

Male Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-09-24

http://siv-blog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KODY 105 Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:24 am

Well, some people in my area (and they represent a broad spectrum of Baptist Christianity IMO) think that the act of going to the movies is a sin. The movie may not be, but simply going to a theater is wrong. "If someone sees you..." woe and all that. How would anyone know if you are watching Fireproof or a bunch of filth? That is the reasoning they use.

As I said before, I find nothing wrong with going to watch a good movie. I just don't have the cash!
KODY 105
KODY 105

Male Number of posts : 1062
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 pm

*cough* I believe he just dissobeyed the rules here.

I have pretty much grown up in a family that loves to watch movies. We love to look deep into them, figure out what the characters are like, predict the ending, etc. I would be worried if we stopped going to the theatres to watch them. I, in no way think it is evil. But, it also depends on the way you think about it. If a child grows up like me, and then decides that they can go watch R-rated movies alone, that's not a good idea. Personally, I think I have gained enough responsibility to watch movies in theatres.
Angel
Angel

Female Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://quotesbysilver.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kmap Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Peanut, you are right.
Kmap
Kmap

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.tadpoleradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stingcameron Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:12 pm

My family doesn't go to theaters because you never how bad it can be from a preview plus you don't know if there is swearing, but with a dvd you can kinda preview it to make sure that it isn't full of swearing and stuff like that in it. At a theater you just never know.
that's my view.
Stingcameron
Stingcameron

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-08-12

http://downmexicoway.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down